5 questions to ask your copywriting agency
Choosing an online copywriting agency can seem like a daunting task. By finding out a bit more about the agency you will be better placed to make an informed decision. Here are five questions to ask, to check you get the right copywriter for your business.
1. Do they have experience in writing for the web?
Writing for the web is very different to writing for other mediums. For this reason, an agency staffed entirely with ex-newspaper journalists probably won’t have the web copywriting expertise you need. Look for agencies who are specialists in writing content that works well online.
Search engine optimisation is also a key consideration for online content. Find out if the agency is up to date with the latest SEO copywriting best practice. The best will write copy that’s optimised for search engines without compromising the experience for readers.
If you are looking for content for a new or re-launched website, you may also wish to look for experience of working alongside website development teams.
2. Will the writer be familiar with your business area?
This is particularly relevant if your business operates in a niche – do they have a writer with experience of writing for your specialism, and if not, are they willing to conduct research into your industry? It’s also worth checking if the agency is experienced in B2B copywriting, which can require a different skillset to writing for consumers.
3. What is their past experience?
Ask for links to examples of past work and details of previous clients, as this will give you a good understanding of the quality of previous work and the industries they work in. Check they can cover the breadth of your requirements: for example, could they handle copy across your website, email, social media and blog?
4. How much can they be involved?
Depending on your in-house resource you may want to write some of the copy internally, alternatively you may be looking for a fully managed service. Either way, check the agency can align with your expectations from the outset.
5. What’s their process?
Finally, understanding the process used by the copywriting agency is key to working out if the agency will be a good fit for your business. Some key areas to discuss include:
- Pricing structure – Is copy priced by the work, hour or project? Are costs fixed or could there be additional fees?
- Briefing process – how are projects started and what input is required from you?
- Turnaround times – how quickly will copy be delivered to you?
- Editing and revisions – are pieces also edited by an editor before delivery (this adds value to the process), and how many revisions are included?
- Delivery – how can content be delivered? Are you looking for copy to be delivered as a Word document or uploaded to your site?
All these questions will help you to understand exactly how your work will be produced and how you will work with the agency. Hopefully, you are now one step closer to finding a copywriting agency that works for your business.