Article marketing checklist
Article marketing is one of the most effective ways to build quality backlinks to your website, and raise your site’s profile in the search results. By regularly writing informative and non-commercial articles within your area of expertise and publishing them on a selection of article syndication websites, such as ezinearticles.com, you can build up a network of links that will push your own site higher up in the search engine results for your keywords.
The concept is that you “donate” an article in your area of expertise, contingent upon a link to your website being included in the content. The article is published on the site, and can also be reproduced by other online publishers, who are required to leave your link intact. In theory, a single article published on Ezine Articles could be picked up and published several times over by multiple publishers, thus generating multiple back-links for your website.
However, like any search engine optimisation (SEO) technique there are some “do’s and don’ts” that will make all the difference to the success of your article marketing campaign. Here is a checklist of factors to consider:
- Make sure you’re writing good quality articles. In some circles “article marketing” has become synonymous with “cheap and badly written content”. Publishing barely-readable guff all over the web isn’t marketing – it’s spam.
- Following on from the above point, make sure the articles are written with your specific audience in mind. Make the content interesting for them to read, and give them genuinely helpful advice. That way, you’re encouraging them to click the link at the bottom of the article and visit your website, and you’re also maintaining the integrity of your brand.
- Use your keywords wisely. The same rules apply to your off-site content as apply to your on-site content. Your keywords should be incorporated into the titles and copy when you are writing your articles. This will give the articles (and your backlinks) the best chance of appearing in the search results.
- Only publish your articles on reputable sites! This is crucial. There are thousands of article marketing syndication sites in existence, but most of them have very low PageRank and the links they provide are virtually worthless. It’s better to publish your article on a handful of established sites (preferably those that employ human editors) than on hundreds of obscure sites.
- Finally, make sure you measure your results. Monitor how many links you’re generating by typing your domain name into Yahoo! Site Explorer on a regular basis. Use this in combination with Google Analytics to observe which article marketing sites (and which articles in particular) are generating click-throughs to your website.
Over time, article marketing can prove an effective link building strategy, as well as a great way to raise the profile of your brand.
Contact Write My Site if you would like to explore your article marketing options. As you will hopefully have gathered from this blog post, we write high quality articles, bespoke to your business and your customer base. We then publish these articles only on established, credible article syndication sites with a Google PageRank of 4 or above.