How to prepare for the top 3 content marketing tech trends in 2018
With AI, voice assistants and more coming onto the scene this year, you really need to keep an eye on the latest content marketing tech trends. After all, they could revolutionise your approach to marketing.
We’ve already explored the core tech areas for 2018, but are you really prepared for what’s about to happen?
Well, just in case you’re not, we’ve compiled a quick ‘how-to’ guide to help you get ready for some of 2018’s biggest content marketing tech trends.
Don’t be scared of the tech takeover!
Before we start, we have to say one thing. In the words of Douglas Adams, “DON’T PANIC”.
As technology develops, more and more people become concerned that it will steal their jobs. We’re here to tell you that’s probably not going to happen. In fact, it might even make you more effective in your role!
Content marketing is all about creativity – something that technology can’t quite grasp (yet).
All marketing teams need some creative flair to set their brand apart from competitors if they’re to survive in the age of content shock. So, this is one area where you know for sure your job is safe.
Another is the empathic side of marketing. Computers aren’t very good at giving followers the ‘warm and fuzzies’ so it’s your job to employ empathic marketing techniques and support your customers on a human level.
However, there are several areas where tech will take over, but we think you’ll be thankful for it!
- Targeting – AI-driven targeting removes the guesswork from content distribution and cuts down on time, allowing you to focus on other things.
- Personalisation – New technologies are creating new methods of personalisation. Soon, AI will tailor the online experience to each individual visitor. This will be much more engaging and boost sales – hooray!
- Analysis – One of the best things about new tech is that it can find patterns in the customer journey and suggest areas for improvement. It needs a little manual help with this now, but in time AI will be able to make changes itself.
So, you can tick all of these tasks off your to-do list (but remember to keep an eye on the decisions AI is making). This will give you time to create truly awesome content that hooks visitors and promotes sales. How good does that sound?
Be ready for these 3 content marketing tech trends
1. The Internet of Things (IoT)
You can’t just focus on screens anymore. Voice assistants like Siri and Alexa are now used in many homes, and other tech such as smartphone-controlled lights, thermostats and even coffee machines are edging their way in too.
You need to adjust your content strategy to incorporate the IoT (but maybe don’t worry about the coffee machine).
Start off by focusing on voice assistants; they’re a whole new way to deliver your content. To benefit from this, you need to alter your writing to include conversational patterns that will work with voice search.
You should also aim for the #1 spot in the voice search rankings, as that’s the only option that’s read out. Luckily, Google has given us some tips on how to do this.
2. Live video is the next big thing
We all know that video is a super-important form of content. It’s quick, engaging and helps users connect with your brand.
However, live video has cranked things up a notch – check out these stats:
- Users spend 3x longer watching live videos than pre-recorded videos
- Users comment 10x more on live videos than pre-recorded videos
- 80% of brand audiences would rather tune into a live video than read a blog
- Only 14% of marketers currently use live video
Live video is obviously very effective, but not everyone knows how to use it. Try:
- Product demonstrations
- Events and speaking engagements
- Consumer announcements
- Interviews/Q&As with employees, industry figures etc
- Behind-the-scenes clips
Start using Facebook Live now, and you’ll be ahead of the curve and engage more with your audience.
3. Mobile-first or mobile-only?
Everyone should have a mobile-optimised site. Fact.
However, it looks like mobile is taking over from bigger screens. 69% of digital media engagement takes place on mobile platforms. Predictions state this will rise to 79% by 2018. If it continues on this trajectory, almost everyone will be looking at content on their mobiles by 2020!
So, how do you get ready for the mobile takeover? Firstly, optimise your site for smaller screens before any others. Don’t eliminate desktop just yet but be aware that it’s not your audience’s primary focus.
And, why not try making some content just for mobile? You could even make a complementary web app. However, it must fit in with the customer journey and offer value to the user.
So, there you have it; a quick guide on how to prepare for the top three content marketing tech trends in 2018. Try out these ideas and let us know how it goes!